Cavalier king charles spaniels love to travel, and will want to go with you on all of your vacations, regardless of where you go and how you get there. However if you are considering taking your cavalier with you on your trip, there are a few things you need to carefully think over first. Careful consideration prior to a vacation makes certain that your pooch will not only have a good traveling experience, but also whether or not it is in your best interest to take him.
There are two main reason why taking cavalier king chalres spaniels on your getaway may not be such a great idea. The first is that the accommodation for the destination to which you are traveling may not welcome dogs. The second is you need to ask yourself if you will be spending time with your king chalres, or if you’ll be leaving him in a hotel room crated for most of the time.
Nevertheless, if you are allowed to take the dog with you, and your pet will be an active part of your adventure, the following is what you need to bear in mind before you travel:• Make sure your intended vacation spot is suitable to your pooch (I.E. avoid taking him to destinations where weather is extremely hot or cold.)
- Find out if the place where you will be staying welcomes dogs.
- Visit your vet and make sure all of your spaniel’s vaccinations are up-to-date, and that he is in sound health.
- Take any necessary documents, such as your cavalier king charles spaniels health and rabies certificate, etc. You should also ensure your pup is wearing proper identification tags, and bring a recent photo of him so that he can be identified should he become lost.
- Pack all items your pet will require: Leash, collar/harness, food and water dish, food, treats, grooming supplies, any required medicine, and so on.
- Your dog will require a crate for traveling, especially if you will be taking a plane. Cavaliers require a medium size crate. It should be large enough that they can stand and turn fully around. Furnish the crate with towels or a soft blanket, as well as a favorite toy or two for more comfortable travel. Note: If you are traveling by plane, you should know that it is likely your buddy will be put in a separate storage area, and will not be with you.
- If you are taking your dog to a foreign country it is probable he will spend time in quarantine. You can learn about a country’s quarantine procedure from your travel agent or the country’s consul.
Vacationing with your cavalier king charles spaniels can be a lot of fun. All you need to do is the proper prep work to ensure your dog is welcome at your destination and he is physically ready to travel.